Pimpama Catchment Facts
- Total area: 171km2
- Stream network length: 389km
- Local Councils: Gold Coast City Council
- Dominant land uses: native bush, urban, grazing, intensive agriculture
- Dominated by intensive agriculture along the middle reaches
- Urban development, including canal estates, expanding throughout the lower catchment
Coomera Catchment Facts
- Total area: 489km2
- Stream network length: 928km
- Local Councils: Beaudesert (pop. 62,441), Gold Coast (pop. 472,279)
- Dominant land uses: native bush, rural residential, grazing, urban
- Headwaters rise in Lamington National Park and remain largely intact
- Mid reaches flow through rural areas
- Urban development, including canal estates, expanding throughout the lower catchment, with the possibility of disturbance to acid sulphate soils
B+ Pimpama/Coomera Catchment *
- Streams generally in good condition.
- An increase in nutrient cycling offset by decreases in ecosystem processes and physical/chemical indicators.
C Pimpama Estuary
- Decreased phytoplankton concentration offset by low dissolved oxygen concentration.
- Continued high nitrogen concentration.
B- Coomera Estuary
- Biological health increased slightly, but offset by increased nutrients and phytoplankton concentration.